BE A PODDER™ IN THREE SIMPLE STEPS.
If you are new to the Omnipod DASH™ System, this guide will be helpful during your training with your Certified Pod Trainer.
If you are switching from the Omnipod® System, you can use the Omnipod DASH™ System User Guide, Quick Start Guide and online training module to get started. You can also view the Omnipod DASH™ System online training module in your PodderCentral™ account.
If you have any questions about setting up your new PDM, please call Customer Care. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 800-591-3455 (when calling from outside the United States, please call 978-600-7850) or you can also fill out our contact us form. If you have any questions about your individual pump therapy settings, please contact your healthcare provider.
Enter Your Settings Carefully
It is very important to enter your settings accurately into your new PDM. To set up your new Omnipod DASH™System Personal Diabetes Manager, you need settings from either your current Personal Diabetes Manager (model UST 400) or pump therapy settings provided by your healthcare provider. Follow this Quick Start Guide carefully. Refer to your Omnipod DASH™ System User Guide if you need additional information.
Step 1: Set Up Your Omnipod DASH™ System PDM
The Personal Diabetes Manager (PDM) Battery
- Use the pull-tab to remove the back cover.
- Insert the battery into the Personal Diabetes Manager.
- Replace the back cover.
- The Personal Diabetes Manager is rechargeable, similar to common mobile devices.
- Charge frequency is based on device usage.
- We suggest you charge your device during bedtime and stick with a similar time each day.
Omnipod DASH™ System Initial Personal Diabetes Manager Setup
Your initial pump therapy settings are needed to setup your new Personal Diabetes Manager.These settings are provided to you by your healthcare provider.
- Hold down the Power button to wake your Personal Diabetes Manager
- You will begin by personalizing your new Personal Diabetes Manager
- After personalization, you will enter your insulin delivery settings
- The Personal Diabetes Manager guides you step-by-step. Be sure to read each screen, and accurately enter each setting.
Pair your CONTOUR® NEXT ONE Meter
During setup, you can pair your Personal Diabetes Manager to your CONTOUR®NEXT ONE blood glucose meter.
- Tap BG Meter Pairing Instructions
- Follow the on-screen instructions, then tap "Start Seach"
- Select the Device to pair from available meters
- Your PDM is now paired with your blood glucose meter
Step 2: Set Up A New Pod
In the “Pod Info” screen, tap “SET UP NEW POD”
Carefully follow the on-screen instructions
- Collect the following supplies:
- Omnipod DASH™ System Personal Diabetes Manager
- Unopened Omnipod DASH™System Pod
- Alcohol swabs
- Vial of room temperature rapid-acting U-100 insulin
- Wash your hands with soap and water. Clean the top of the insulin vial with an alcohol swab.
- Remove the fill needle and syringe from the Pod’s tray. Keep the Pod in its tray during set up. Confirm the Pod’s needle cap is blue.This ensures your Pod is compatible with your Omnipod DASH™ System Personal Diabetes Manager. Twist the fill needle clockwise onto the top of the syringe. Do not use any other type of needle or filling device besides the syringe provided with each Pod.
- Remove the syringe’s protective cap from the needle. Draw air into the syringe equal to the amount of insulin you will use. You must fill your syringe with at least 85 units of insulin. Insert the needle into the vial and inject air.
- Turn the vial upside down and slowly withdraw insulin. Tap or flick the filled syringe to remove any bubbles.
- Remove the needle from the vial and insert it into the Pod’s insulin fill port. An arrow on the white paper backing points to the fill port. Do not inject insulin into any other location on the Pod. The Pod should still be in its package during fill.
- To ensure proper fill, do not insert the fill syringe at an angle into the fill port.
- Inject the insulin into the fill port. The Pod beeps twice. Remove the needle from the insulin fill port. Replace the needle’s protective cap and remove the needle from the fill syringe for proper sharps disposal.
- NEVER inject air into the fill port. Doing so may result in unintended or interrupted insulin delivery.
- NEVER use a Pod if you feel resistance while depressing the plunger of the fill syringe. This condition can result in interrupted insulin delivery.
- With the Pod still in its tray place it next to and touching the Personal Diabetes Manager to ensure proper communication. Press Next on the Personal Diabetes Manager. The system performs a series of safety checks and automatically primes the Pod.
- Your Pod is now ready for application and cannula insertion. For more information, please refer to your Omnipod DASH™ System User Guide.
Step 3: Key Insulin Delivery Actions
Suspend Insulin Delivery
- Tap the main menu icon on the Home Screen
- Tap "Suspend Insulin" and follow the on-screen instructions
Set a Temporary Basal Rate
- Tap the main menu icon on the Home Screen
- Tap "Set Temp Basal"
- Tap "Basal Rate" entry box and select your % change.
- Tap "Duration" entry box and select your time duration. Tap "Confirm"
Edit an Active Basal Program
Note: You must suspend insulin before editing the active Basal Program
- Tap the "Basal" tab on the Home Screen. Tap "View"
- Tap "Edit"
- Tap "Suspend Insulin"
- Tap to edit program name, choose program tag or tap "Next" to edit basal time segments and rates
- Once you are finished editing, tap "Resume Insulin"
Deliver a Bolus
- Tap "Bolus" icon on the Home Screen
- Tap the "Enter Carbs" entry box to input grams of carbs. Sync or enter your BG manually by tapping the "Enter BG" entry box.
- Review your values, then tap "Confirm"
- Tap "Start" to begin bolus delivery
Omnipod DASH™ System Podder™ Resource Guide
Podder™ Quick Glance Guide
The Podder™ Quick Glance Guide is designed to provide Podders™ with a review of the essential Omnipod DASH™ System features.
Podder's™ Handbook User Guide
The Omnipod DASH™ System User Guide provides complete instructions that cover every aspect of Pod usage and Personal Diabetes Manager functionality.
Before continuing with the Omnipod DASH™ System Insulin Management System, refer to your User Guide for detailed operating instructions.