Insulin Management for Kids with Diabetes
Receiving a diagnosis of diabetes can be a stressful time for everyone in the family. As a parent or caregiver, you want to choose an insulin delivery method that both addresses your child’s evolving health needs while also granting them the same freedom as other children.
The Omnipod® Insulin Management System was created for this very reason – to manage diabetes with as few disruptions to daily life as possible.
Ranked the #1 pediatric preferred insulin pump1 for children of all ages with diabetes, the tubeless, waterproof2 Omnipod® System is easy to use and allows caregivers and older kids to deliver and monitor insulin wirelessly.
A Tubeless, Waterproof Insulin Pump System
The Omnipod® System includes a tubeless,waterproof2 Pod that your child can wear just about anywhere that they would be given an insulin injection. It’s the preferred pediatric insulin pump1 because our Pod system is:
- Available for pediatric diabetes patients of all ages
- Tubeless, so it won’t get caught in the jungle gym or yanked out during play or sleep
- You can dose wirelessly3 at night without having to get out of bed or disrupting your child's sleep
- Engineered for ease-of-use: hands-free auto cannula insertion ensures the that there no needles in sight
- Small enough to be worn discreetly under clothes
- Waterproof2, allowing for bathing, swimming and other water sports and activities without disconnecting
How Our Wearable Insulin Delivery System Works
The Omnipod® System is different from other tubed insulin pumps. It has an innovative, compact, and tubeless and waterproof design, that delivers insulin continuously for up to 3 days. Tailor-made for your child’s busy life.
The Omnipod® System is simple, with just two parts:
The Insulin Pump (Pod)
A small, adhesive-backed device applied to the arm, back, stomach and upper leg where it can be easily worn under clothing. The Pod’s small, flexible cannula inserts automatically into the skin with the push of a button. It delivers precise doses of insulin based on the instructions you program into its wireless companion, the Personal Diabetes Manager (PDM).
The Personal Diabetes Manager (PDM)
A handheld device that puts insulin delivery control at your fingertips. There’s no need to keep the Personal Diabetes Manager with your child at all times – once you activate the Pod, it only needs to be within 1.5 meters (5 feet) of the Pod to deliver a mealtime or correction bolus. It simplifies diabetes management with individualized insulin settings, stored history data, a database of carbohydrate counts for most foods, and a built-in FreeStyle blood glucose (BG) meter.
Why is the Omnipod®System the #1 Pediatric Preferred Insulin Pump
Over 140,000 Omnipod® System users and their families experience the benefits of our tubeless insulin delivery system every day. They call themselves “Podders™”, and here’s what they have to say about our insulin management system:
The Omnipod® System lets kids be kids.
- The Pod delivers insulin non-stop for up to 3 consecutive days4, parents can personalize basal programs to deliver insulin at different throughout the day or night
- The Omnipod System allows parents or caregivers to wirelessly adjust the Pods operation
- Because the Pod is tubeless, there isn't a fear of tubing getting stuck, kinked or pulled out on the playground or playing sports
- The Pod is discreet and can be easily worn under clothes. No need for a fanny pack or special wearable pouches to hold a traditional tubed pump
- The durable Pod is ideal for competitive athletics and active lifestyles. Young athletes and dancers can focus on their passions rather than their diabetes
The Pod is easy to apply and insertion is quick and virtually painless
- Pod application and insertion is quick and easy, saving parents the frustration of holding kids still for manual injections
- There’s no need to remove the waterproof2 Pod or worry about where to hook your childs pump in the shower or pool
- You don’t need to worry about keeping the Personal Diabetes Manager in close proximity to your child when delivering a pre-programmed basal program, as it only needs to be within 1.5 meters (5 feet) of the Pod3 to deliver a bolus or initiate a new basal program
Easy-to-use technology simplifies blood glucose level management
- With only two components, the Omnipod® System is easy to use
- Insulin is delivered nonstop for up to 3 consecutive days4, which helps to avoid changes in blood glucose levels that come with disconnecting from basal insulin delivery
- The small Personal Diabetes Manager can easily be carried in backpack, purse, or gym bag, making the Omnipod® System ideal for any lifestyle
- In addition to regular basal and bolus doses, you can also preset temporary doses and customize basal rate when your child is active, ill, or may require a different dosage for a set period
- It’s easy to set and administer a mealtime bolus dose – no need to get an injection at every meal or snack
- The Personal Diabetes Manager allows you to customize mealtime bolus doses to take place over an extended period of time
Caregiver Guide Guide to the Omnipod® System
- Daycare providers
- School Nurses
The Caregiver Resource Guide can provide direction on some of the key functions they may need to perform. Click here to view or download a copy of the guide.
- According to dQ&A Q3 2018 Patient Panel Survey. Share of parents of children with type 1 diabetes on an insulin pump who had chosen the Omnipod® was higher than for other pumps. Statistical significance of results calculated at the 95% level.
- The Pod has a waterproof IP28 rating for up to 7.6 meters (25 feet) for 60 minutes. The PDM is not waterproof.
- Upon initial set-up, the Pod and PDM must be adjacent and touching. For normal operations, the Pod must be within 1.5 meters (5 feet) of the PDM.
- Up to 72 hours of continuous insulin delivery.
FreeStyle and related brand marks are trademarks of Abbott Diabetes Care Inc. in various jurisdictions and used with permission.