Insulin management for Children with Diabetes
Hearing a diagnosis of juvenile diabetes can be a stressful time for everyone in the family. As a caregiver, you want to choose an insulin delivery method that both addresses your child’s evolving health needs, while also granting him or her the freedom to be a normal child.
The Omnipod® Insulin Management System was created for this very reason – to manage diabetes with as few disruptions to daily life as possible. Ranked a market-leading insulin pump for children in the U.S.1, the tubeless Omnipod® System is easy to use and allows caregivers and older kids to deliver and monitor insulin wirelessly2.
Please note that only your child's diabetes healthcare professional can assess their suitability for the Omnipod® Insulin Management System.
A Tubeless Insulin Pump System with a Waterproof3 Pod
The Omnipod® System includes a tubeless, waterproof3 Pod that your child can wear wherever he or she would be given an insulin injection. It’s the preferred paediatric insulin pump1 because our Pod system is:
- available for paediatric diabetes patients of all ages, including infants (subject to confirmation of suitability by your child's diabetes healthcare professional)
- tubeless, so it won’t get caught in the climbing frame, and you can even dose your child wirelessly2 at night without having to get them out of bed
- easy to activate and use, with automatic cannula insertion and no visible needles
- small enough to be worn discreetly under clothes
- waterproof3, allowing for bathing and water sports without disconnecting
How Our Wearable Insulin Delivery System Works
Insulin pumps are an alternative treatment to daily insulin injections by delivering small doses of insulin to your child’s body steadily throughout the day. The Omnipod® System is simple, with just two primary parts:
1. The Pod
A small, adhesive-backed disposable device applied to the arm, back, stomach, leg and other areas where it can be easily worn under clothing. The Pod’s small, flexible cannula inserts automatically into your child's skin with the push of a button. It delivers precise doses of insulin based on the instructions you programme into its wireless companion, the Personal Diabetes Manager (PDM).
Insulin settings should be implemented as discussed by you and by your child's diabetes healthcare professional.
2. The Personal Diabetes Manager
A hand-held device that puts insulin delivery control at your fingertips. There’s no need to keep the Personal Diabetes Manager (PDM) with your child at all times – once you activate the Pod, it only needs to be within 1.5 metres of the Pod to deliver a meal time bolus3. It helps simplify diabetes management with individualised insulin settings, stored medical data, a database of carbohydrate counts for most foods and a built-in FreeStyle® Lite blood glucose (BG) meter.
The Omnipod® System was deemed a market-leading pump for children in the U.S.1
Omnipod® System users and their families experience the benefits of our tubeless insulin delivery system every day. They call themselves ‘Podders™’, and here’s what some of them have to say about our insulin management system:
The Omnipod® System lets children be children.
- The Pod delivers insulin non-stop for up to three consecutive days5 (based on your personal settings), meaning that your child can go to a dance class, play video games, wrestle with siblings and play with friends with fewer interruptions.
- There are no tubes to get stuck on clothes while playing football or swimming.
- There are few limitations on clothing choices, since the inconspicuous Pod can be easily worn under clothes.
- The durable Pod is ideal for competitive athletics and active lifestyles, helping children to focus on their sport, rather than their diabetes.
The Pod is easy to apply and insertion is quick and virtually painless.
- Pod application and insertion is quick and easy, saving parents the need to hold children still for manual injections.
- There’s no need to remove the waterproof2 Pod or worry about where to hook your child’s pump in the shower or pool.
- You don’t need to whave the PDM in close proximity to your child when delivering a pre-programmed basal programme, as it only needs to be within 1.5 metres of the Pod3 to deliver a bolus or initiate a new basal programme.
Easy-to-use technology helps simplify blood glucose level management
- With only two primary parts, the Omnipod® System is easy to use.
- Insulin is delivered non-stop for up to three consecutive days5, which helps to avoid the changes in blood glucose levels that come with disconnecting from basal insulin delivery.
- The small PDM can be easily carried in a rucksack, bag or sports bag, making the Omnipod® System ideal for suitable patients.
- In addition to regular basal and bolus doses, you can also preset temporary doses and customise the basal rate when your child is active, ill or may require a different dosage for a set period.
- It’s easy to set and administer a meal time bolus dose – no need to give a manual injection at every meal or snack time.
- The PDM allows you to customise meal time bolus doses to take place over an extended period of time.
- dQ&A Q4 2017 Independent Patient Panel Survey in the U.S.. Market share of parents of children with type 1 diabetes on an insulin pump who had chosen the Omnipod® System was higher than for other pumps surveyed.
- Upon initial set-up, the Pod and PDM must be adjacent and touching. For normal operations, the Pod must be within 1.5 metres of the PDM.
- The Pod has a waterproof IPX8 rating for up to 7.6 metres for 60 minutes. The PDM is not waterproof.
- The sample Pod includes a non-functioning, needle-free Pod for wear only.
- Up to 72 hours of continuous insulin delivery.